Wednesday 17 May 2017

Distress Oxides in da House


I can't believe it's been 10 days since my last post! I'm suffering from a bit of mojo gone AWOL... But I've been busy reading which has been wonderful as it's been a long time since I've found the peace of mind to just sit down and focus on a book. So that feels good. Not sure if it's just a coincidence that my reading streak started on the same day as I removed the Facebook app from my phone. 


Anyhow, I had a parcel arrive today, full of the Distress Oxides I've been waiting for ever since I saw the videos and beautiful cards start to appear a few months ago. I have to admit I was playing around for a while, and not really being able to re-create those gorgeous water splattered grunge-y backgrounds I've seen in the video where the King of Distress himself, Tim Holtz was demoing them, or this video where Jennifer McGuire creates gorgeous cards with the inks. But I guess it's all a learning process. I was going to discard all my attempts but then I thought I should make something out of at least one of the panels - it should be all about the fun of creating and not trying to achieve perfection. And I was inspired by the new colours over at Color Throwdown and the sketch over at CAS(E) This Sketch so I ended up creating a new home card using STAMPlorations dies, inspired by the Home Sweet Home theme over at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. I also added some stickles to the sentiment inspired by Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge where the theme is A Bit of Sparkle.



Card: 250 gsm white card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm white card, Daler&Rowney 300 gsm watercolour paper
Ink: Distress Oxides Broken China, Cracked Pistachio, Fossilized Amber
Dies: CUTplorations Crazy Double Running Stitch Rectangle Nesting Dies, Stitched Snow Hills, Stitched Winter Landscape, Happy Word die
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Claire's ABCs
Other: Ranger Mint Ice Stickles, sequins from my stash


STAMPlorations discount code: If you want to save 20% when shopping at the STAMPlorations store you can use the code STAMPGIRLKAROLA at checkout. The discount applies to all normal priced and discounted stamps, stencils and dies. The code cannot be combined with other discount codes. If you have any questions or problems, just let me know!

7 comments:

Leigh Penner said...

Great take on the sketch!

MaryFran said...

Love your mentioning the perfection part of creating. I get stuck in that, too. I've not decided if I want to invest in the distress oxides yet, but your card is so pretty, I might just have to do it! Thank you.

Broni said...

I love your watercolored panel! It looks great in those colors!! Thanks so much for joining in at the Color Throwdown this week!

~amy~ said...

The background is perfect!

Virginia L. said...

You have used these Distress Oxide beautifully! Love the background that you created! Thanks so much for playing Simon Says Stamp Wednesday “A Bit of Sparkle” Challenge! Beautiful colors and design. Well done!

Anna-Karin said...

Stunning card and I love that background. Gorgeous colors. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

Diana @ Playing Without Limits said...

This one really caught my eye. Love the simple die cut and how it stands out against the Distress

Diana @ Playing
https://playingwithoutlimits.wordpress.com/