Monday 24 July 2017

The Sky's The Limit


I've been enjoying a few days off work, as my Dad has been visiting. We've been so busy doing many fun things - we went to Silverstone to see the F1 Grand Prix, we visited Wimpole Hall (such a gorgeous house, beautiful gardens and Shire horses on the farm), and yesterday we spent a day at the Duxford Imperial War Museum. I didn't think I would really enjoy it very much, but I was totally mesmerised by the beautiful planes (but I could not tell you which one is which, even if my life depended on it, I did enjoy photographing them though). We also had the in-laws over for dinner on Saturday (we were going to BBQ but the British summer showed its usual rather wet side, so we ended up having a roast instead) and my father in law brought over the most gorgeous produce box from his garden. And last but not least, we saw baby deer being bottle fed when we went for dinner at a local farm (shout out to Johnsons of Old Hurst, lovely steak house, well worth a visit if you are in the neighbourhood). I don't think I've ever seen anything as cute as those little baby deer. The amount of oooh-ing and awww-ing among the ladies, we all just ran out of the restaurant to see them while the guys sat there, rolling their eyes.

Baby deer with a little bit of milk down her cheek.
Can I hear you say awwww?
That's a lot of buttons!!

Wimpole Hall gardens.
Produce box from the
father-in-law's garden

This is a Lockheed Blackbird,
it's actually a real war plane although
it looks like something from Star Wars!
This is Sally B, the last remaining
airworthy B-17 in Europe. We saw her
take off for a flight!

Today I took Dad to the airport and thought I might as well spend the rest of the day in the craft room as there were a few challenges I wanted to play along with. I wanted to create something inspired by the sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches, the colours over at Color Throwdown and the gorgeous inspiration image over at Just Add Ink. I'm also linking up over at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge where the theme is "You've Got The Edge" and Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge where the theme is "We're Seeing Stars". I'm also linking up over at Lawn Fawnatics with the current colour challenge. 



 

I created a background with Turquoise Distress Oxide and Distress Inks with a watercolour brush and lots of layering and splattering. Then I stamped the balloon, stars and clouds from Lawn Fawn Blue Skies. I coloured them with Copics and die cut using the matching dies. Then I die cut the panel using the Stitched Square Stackables, and for the background, I die cut a larger square from Lawn Fawn Watercolor wishes. Then I stamped the sentiment in black and arranged the balloons and stars onto the card. I added some Wink of Stella to the clouds for a finishing touch. 

Card: 300 gsm white card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm white card, Lawn Fawn Watercolor Wishes patterned paper
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Blue Skies and matching dies
Ink and Colouring: Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black, Versafine Onyx Black, Copics, Tim Holtz Distress Oxide Broken China, Distress Ink Mermaid Lagoon, Peacock Feathers
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Square Stackable dies

10 comments:

Nancy K said...

Beautiful card! I love the splashy watercolor backdrop! I'm so happy you joined the color challenge fun at Lawn Fawnatics!

DIANA L. said...

Your sky on your beautiful card is amazing- I have been on that b-17 it was in CA a while back for an air-show. I love it. I loved reading your post
. Have a blessed day
DIANA L.

DL.ART DESIGN TEAM MEMBER
DL.ART crinkle ribbon
http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com
http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

Pink Unicorn said...

What a small world Diana - how funny that we are connected across the world by a love for papercrafting AND by having seen the same aircraft! Thanks for popping by today

Patrice said...

Your card is gorgeous! I love your watercoloured background, with the vibrant & whimsical balloon. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week. x

Jan said...

Such a beautiful card! I love how your balloon pops amongst the clouds and fabulous details of your inked background. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week.

Anonymous said...

I really like your watercolour background - it creates a great sky effect. Chantell Just Add Ink

Tracy Freeman said...

Such a lovely card, gorgeous background.
It sounds like you have had a lovely time, Duxford it a great day out isn't it.

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge x

Nikki Spencer said...

I absolutely love your card. The vibrant colours and fun design are super cute! Thanks for sharing at Just Add Ink.

KimB said...

Bright balloons, stars and clouds really create a fun scene on a lovely atmospheric blue background. A really happy feeling card! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week

Sandra said...

What a cute card, the hotair balloon with the clouds and stars are fabulous. Love the blue inky background. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra