Saturday 11 August 2018

Geometric Twofer


I've missed out on loads of great challenges lately as I don't currently get to spend as much time in the craft room as I would like to. Life has an annoying way of getting in the way of the fun stuff, but luckily today after donating blood in the morning I needed something very sedentary to do for a few hours and therefore decided to see if I could come up with something for this month's Twofer challenge where the theme is geometric.
Every time I see the challenges come up in my Feedly feed, I swear I will play along and then a mere blink of an eye later I see the top picks posted for the challenges and yet again realise I didn't get around to play along. Does that ever happen to you?? 



Determined not to miss out on one of my favourite challenges out there, the fantastically fun Twofer challenge, I created two cards using the ARTplorations Tribal Triangles stencil as I thought the triangles would fit the theme perfectly. My first card is a baby card where I inked Spun Sugar Distress ink through the stencil to create a very soft background. I then stamped the super cute elephant from STAMPlorations Tweet Love. I coloured her with Copics, fussy cut and attached to the card. I die cut small stars using the Lawn Fawn Stitched Journaling Card die and added a sentiment from Critters Down Under. The colours for this card were inspired by Color Throwdown.


For my second card, I used the Tribal Triangles stencil for stencil monoprinting using Distress Oxides. I attached the panel onto black card, die cut a black circle and the sentiment from STAMPlorations Feel Better Soon Phrase Die in gold mirri card. Last, I stamped a grunge barcode from Mixed Media Grunge at the bottom of the card and added some colourful dots and tiny adhesive gems. 



This card was inspired by the sketch over at CAS(E) This Sketch. I'm also linking up over at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge where the theme is to Distress It. **Addition** Last night when I published the post I was so tired I wasn't thinking straight but after a good night's sleep it's all coming back to me. I was of course inspired by the wonderful CAS Mixup challenge to use the stencil monoprint technique (thank you as always for the wonderful inspiration!!!) and this is the second card I'm linking up over there. I'm having a great time using my stencils this way and may have one more card up my sleeve as the rules allow you to link up three cards to the challenge!




Card: 300gsm watercolour card, black 200 gsm card, Hobbycraft 190 gsm white card
Stamps: STAMPlorations Tweet LoveMixed Media Grunge, Lawn Fawn Critters Down Under
Ink and colouring: Tsukineko Versafine, Distress Oxides, Distress Ink Spun Sugar, Copics
Stencil: ARTplorations Tribal Triangles
Dies: STAMPlorations Feel Better Soon Phrase Die, Lawn Fawn Stitched Circle die, Stitched Journaling Card die
Other: Enamel dots and adhesive gems from my stash

STAMPlorations discount code: If you want to save 20% when shopping at the STAMPlorations store you can use the code STAMPGIRLKAROLA at checkout. The discount applies to all normal priced and discounted stamps, stencils and dies. The code cannot be combined with other discount codes.

15 comments:

Wanda Cullen said...

That baby card is so adorable using the throwdown colors! So glad you were able to find time to play along with us this week!

Theresa's Studio said...

Beautiful cards! Love your use of the stencils. Thanks for dropping by my blog with a comment.

Kristina H said...

Beautiful cards! Really love the elephant card!

Leigh Penner said...

Wonderful cards!

Vickie Z said...

Fun cards! Love the subtle stencil with the sweet elephant! So happy you joined us at CTD!

Bonnie said...

That elephant is adorable, Karola, and so sweet with the soft triangles stenciled in the background! And your monoprint is bright and happy! Love the mix of colors! This is certainly a card to make someone feel better! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Loll said...

Your two cards using the stencil are adorable Karola! Love that sweet elephant. Your stencil monoprint is to pretty with the bright colours. Thanks for playing along with us at Twofer Card Challenge and CAS Mix Up!

Mac Mable said...

Such an adorable elephant card and loving the vibrancy of the colours on the stencil mono printing card and would definitely cheer someone up. Thank you for adding this fabulous card to the gallery at The CAS Mix Up x.

Linda W. (ScrappinBari) said...

Spotted your fabulous cards at Twofer! Just love how you used the triangle stencil - so delicate on your baby card and so colorful on the get well card.

Darnell said...

Two sensational card designs, Karola! There is nothing sweeter than a baby elephant for a baby card; they just make everybody smile! And your get well card is sure to cheer up the recipient with its beautiful rainbow colors! I feel terrible having to tell you that the Twofer challenge prompts must be made by physical stamps or dies only, as the badge indicates. (It's also mentioned in the FAQ tab.) You can use a stencil as a part of your design, but the prompt element has to be made with the same stamp or die. I hope the prompt will inspire you to enter again as we love having you and so appreciate your support!! Hugs, Darnell

Happy Dance said...

The stenciled background you've created for that sweet little elephant is adorable, and I love how it's subtle to begin with, and then fades from the center outward. The three little stars are just the perfect accent, too! And your get well card will certainly do just that with these pretty, bright colors. Great barcode stamp, too! Thanks for joining us at The Twofer Challenge. Bev

nancy littrell said...

Both your cards for the Twofer challenge are fun and colorful, Karola. I love your adorable baby card and your Stencil monoprint background on your 2nd card. So pleased you entered your 2nd card in our CAS Mix Up Challenge. TFS Hugs..

Brenda said...

Yes, it happens to me all the time too! I think I'm going to play along and next thing I know the challenge has closed and a winner has been picked. lol Glad to know I'm not alone in this! I am loving your cards for these challenges! That little elephant baby card is adorable. I love how your monoprint came out as it is so soft for this sweet baby card. Your second card is so bright and cheery that it should have no problem cheering up someone who is sick! Love the colors you chose and love the monoprint you got. The black just makes these colors pop right off the page! Glad you were able to play along this month on these fabulous challenges. Hugs, Brenda

Kim Hamilton said...

Beautiful set of cards! I always love a rainbow! Thanks so much for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge :)

Julia Aston said...

Two lovely designed cards using that fun geometric stencil Karola! love the rainbow colors on your get well card and the gold die cut sentiment! Thank you for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!