Thursday 1 May 2014

Roaring savanna sunset



I love the Lawn Fawn stamp sets, one day I will have them all. I increased my collection from 1 set (Critters Ever After) to two after I received the aaahh so cute Critters on the Savanna set. There is so much you can do with these cute little guys, but this time I was inspired by three challenges. First of all, I saw the savanna sunset in this week's Freshly Made Sketches sketch (below). Also, I saw the savanna sunset colours in this weeks Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge which is themed Not So Mellow Yellow. Indeed, not very mellow, with that big roaring cat sitting there in the middle of it all! And third, this week's Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge is Anything goes but with the amazing and inspiring DT using Lawn Fawn stamps, I felt like I should join in the fun.


I started with creating the sunset using Tim Holtz distress inks, ink blending tools and masks. I then stamped the critters in black ink and fussycut using scissors. They were sponged with Black Soot ink enough so that they would look like shadows against the sunset, but still showing those cute details through the ink. For the sentiment, I used a scrap piece from my stash that I have created earlier using Tim Holtz distress paints onto watercolour paper. I attached the sentiment onto my block in a wavy pattern. Lastly, I stamped some grass in black onto the savanna, and adhered everything into place and onto yellow carstock. I have to admit, I'm a teeny weeny bit proud of the colours of the sunset, I absolutely love playing with the distress inks. The way they layer, blend and make such a lively and vivid result is just amazing. And it's fun to get your hands literally dirty too!

Card: Leonardo Stationery 350 gsm Smooth White Card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm white cardstock, Daler&Rowney 190 gsm watercolour paper, Stampin' Up Daffodil Delight cardstock
Inks: Hobbycraft black pigment ink, Tim Holtz distress inks in Aged Mahogany, Black Soot, Fired Brick, Spiced Marmelade, Squeezed Lemonade and Wild Honey
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Critters of the Savanna

3 comments:

Mona Pendleton said...

Terrific card! The scene looks awesome! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Cindy Hall said...

I love the way you have created this awesome sunset scene and animal silhouettes for this sketch challenge! Great card! Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

Cindy Lovell said...

What an awesome scene!! I love...love the sunset and the animals! Great job!
Thank you for joining us at FMS!!