Sunday 17 July 2016

Flamingo Shaker


Are you enjoying your weekend? I had a wonderful day yesterday at the gym where we had a launch party for the new releases but now I'm suffering the consequences. No, I'm not sore from the three hours of working out, I'm in pain from not having covered myself from the sun. Before leaving in the morning I thought maybe I should add some sunscreen, but thought this is the UK after all so it will be cloudy and probably rain. Boy was I wrong. And now I'm the colour of a cooked lobster. So make sure you protect yourself from the sun out there, don't be stupid like me. Sleeping was painful as my shoulders were constantly hurting simply from the pressure of lying on the mattress.

I thought I would try to distract myself from the pain for a bit by crafting. To get my mojo going I was browsing some challenges and this card is inspired by the colours at ColourQ and the sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches. I was also inspired by Flora and Fauna over at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge and Create a Scene over at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge. Last but not least I am also linking up with Time Out where the challenge is to be inspired by the phrase "Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine"



I started by cutting the front panel and the opening for it with Stitched Rectangle dies. Then I used Tim Holtz Distress Markers to watercolour the sky and the grass (which you can't see from underneath the sequins and beads). Then I stamped the flamingo and coloured her with Copics and die cut the other bits I needed to create the scene from leftover bits of card and patterned paper. Then I attached everything in place for the flamingo scene. Next I die cut a piece of the black striped paper from Let's Polka in the Meadow and the black scalloped edge and adhered to the front panel. Then I used the Stitched Rectangle frame dies to cut a piece of 3D foam to form the shaker. I attached the acetate to the back side of the front panel followed by the 3D foam frame and bits of 3D foam to adhere the front panel. Then I assembled the beads and sequins over the flamingo scene and attached the front panel. Last, I die cut the hugs sentiment from pink card and added Ice Stickles for extra bling.

Card: Daler&Rowney 300 gsm watercolour paper, scraps of black, white, pink, kraft and yellow card
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Flamingo Together and matching dies
Paper: Lawn Fawn Let's Polka in the Meadow
Ink and Colouring: Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black, Tim Holtz Distress Ink Tumbled Glass and Mowed Lawn markers, Copics R20, R43, Y00, Y13
Other: Sequins and small beads from my stash, Lawn Fawn Stitched Scalloped Borders, Stitched Rectangles, Stitched Rectangle Frames, Spring Showers and Scripty Hugs die, Ranger Ice Stickles


6 comments:

Lin said...

Love these summery colors against that black and white stripe - love your scene for our challenge this week! Thanks for joining us at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday challenge!

Macarena said...

Beautiful. I love how the flamingo has drown the feets in the sequins. Lovely shaker card! Thank you for sharing your project with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! Hugs, Marzena

Jen Mitchell said...

Wonderful! I love the idea of a flamingo shaker! The sequins are so vibrant and your little scene is just delightful. Thanks for playing along with us at colourQ and Freshly Made Sketches!

Narelle Farrugia said...

Oh this is wonderful! What a fabulous colourful shaker - love the addition of the pink flamingo! Thanks for joining us at FMS this week!

Lisa Kind said...

Very cute card! I love that window and cute flamingo! Thanks for taking the Time Out to play with us!

Jill V said...

Very fun card - I love the flamingos and the sequins! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Time Out! Jill