Sunday 2 February 2014

Die cut Valentine's day card


TGIF - Thank God It's February. January was rough this year, but hopefully February will be easier. At least the last week of the month will be happy, as I am on holiday before starting my new job in March. 

So what does February mean for a card crafter? Valentine's day of course. In Finland, Valentine's day is called Ystävänpäivä, which translates to Friend's day. It's more about celebrating friendship instead of romantic love. I made this card for my Grandma to wish her happy Friendship day (the sentiment on the card says "Happy Friendship day".

Looking at the card, can you guess who just bought a die cutting machine which came with a set of alphabet dies? Bet you can never guess. I used my new Sizzix Big Shot to die cut the letters from white cardstock using the Sizzix Bug in a Rug Alphabet die set. I then coloured the letters using my 80's Glam Sharpies set which I love both because the colours are so happy and bright, but also because my dear Culinary Consultant gave the set to me for my Christmas Present. I then attached the letters onto Stampin' Up Basic Grey cardstock. I used the Stampin' Up owl punch for the hearts from white cardstock and coloured them with the Sharpies too. 

I rumbled around in my leftover stash and found some different coloured scraps and I used the Fiskars butterfly punch to punch out the small butterflies. The big butterflies are stamped onto vellum using the butterfly stamp from the Tim Holtz Heartfelt set using Distress paints in Picked Raspberry, Seedless Preserves, Broken China and Brushed Pewter and fussycut using scissors. I matted the card onto bright yellow cardstock and Kraft card.

Dies: Sizzix Bug in a Rug Alphabet Sizzlits
Stamps: Tim Holtz Heartfelt
Punches: Fiskars butterfly, Stampin' Up Owl punch
Distress paints: Picked Raspberry, Seedless Preserves, Broken China, Brushed Pewter
Cardstock: Stampin' Up Basic Grey, Hobbycraft three shades of yellow 160 gsm cardstock, Kraft card, Dovecraft Premium Vellum 110 gsm
Other: 80's glam Sharpies

No comments: