Tuesday 6 January 2015

Holly Jolly Challenge - Out of this world

Is it just me, or does that Santa remind you of the
 gun-crazy alien Santas in Doctor Who?
So we just made it through Christmas and New Year. Any sane person would lay off the Christmas crafting for a while, right? Wrong!! You have just endured the craziness of Christmas, and it did get hectic again this year, despite your best intentions. So why not make it a little bit easier on you this year, and start with your Christmas cards super early? Come on, it's just one little card!!

The first Holly Jolly Christmas challenge of 2015 kicks off today. You have two weeks to link up with us, and our theme this time is Ornaments. Remember, it doesn't have to be a card, it could be a Christmas ornament or any other inspiration you get from the word ornament. We have plenty of sponsors for our first challenge, which of course means plenty of great prizes to be won too. Our sponsors this round are Bugaboo Digi Stamps, Eureka Stamps, Dr Digi's House of Stamps and Stamp and Create.







I love the quirky images over at Dr Digi. Seems like the digi stamp world is saturated with cute girls with huge eyes, and that really isn't my style. But I absolutely adore this Merry Alien from Dr Digi, giving me a chance to make a very different Christmas card. Pop over to see what other fun images they have on offer. I made the background using my much beloved galaxy technique. It's always fun to dig out the acrylics and get messy. I have linked to some instruction videos in my post here. I coloured the alien using Copics, and made the orb in his hand into a earth christmas ornament. I wrote part of the sentiment using a white gel pen, and die cut the word "earth". To finish off, I added some adhesive gems to make stars in the sky. I also printed a sentiment inside the cards, and added another Merry Alien. This card was so much fun to make, maybe I'll make all my Christmas cards out of this world this year!




I'm linking up with the following challenges:
The Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers - Y is for Yucky (although I personally think the little merry alien is rather cute, but in theory someone could think grey aliens are yucky. Maybe that's good enough for the Sisters?)
Sparkles Christmas Challenges - A Christmas Critter with a Splash of Glitter (An alien is a critter of kinds, right?)
Inspiration Destination - Anything Goes


Card: Coloured 240 gsm kraft card Black, Stampin' Up Bermuda Bay, Daler&Rowney watercolour 300 gsm paper
Stamps: Dr Digi X files X Mas digi stamp
Colouring: Copics C1, C3, C5, R24, R46, YG11, Stampin' Write markers Tempting Turquoise, Old Olive, Crumb Cake, Signo White Gel Pen
Other: Red and white bakes twine from my stash, Ice Stickles Crystal Ice and Mint Ice, Stampin' Up Basic Rhinestones

14 comments:

Donna said...

Love it!!! Fab card! Thanks for coming back to the sisterhood for the Y is for Yuck challenge!! Happy Happy New Year!!

Melissa Bove said...

Fabulous card! Such a fun image!!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

hugs...
Melissa

Karen Schroeder said...

Your card is awesome, love the galaxy background! Many people don't like gray aliens...for me, it's the yellow ones. Thanks for getting "yucky" with us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Snarky Stampers!

Jackie Scott said...

I think this card is a real hoot! What a fun image and an amazing background you created! Thanks for visiting my blog.

Lindsey said...

I so have to try that galaxy background! (I likely said that last time I saw you do one...) Such a great Christmas card. Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Sandra H said...

Oh this is just the cutest card ever what a lovely image and just perfect for our challenge over at “ Sparkles Christmas Challenge "Christmas critter with a splash of glitter “ good luck and hope to see you again next time Dt Member Sandra H xx

Chris Dring said...

OMG! This is too cool! Love that galaxy background, I'll have to try it out! Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Hazel said...

Thank you for entering my CHNC challenge extra for January and our CCAYR January challenge with your lovely crafting - hope to see you again soon x

Sarah said...

Such a fabulous card!! So glad you have started on this years cards and for joining us at CCAYR!! Good Luck. Sarah :0)

Jessi Fogan said...

ERMAGERD this is my favourite Christmas card!! lol! Your galaxy technique is much loved for a reason - it's totally freaking AWESOME!

Barbara Godden said...

Super fabulous Christmas card. Thanks for playing along with us at the Sisterhood of Snarky stampers for the Y is for Yuck challenge although doesn't look yuck to me.

Renate said...

Een gewaagde kerstkaart! Maar wel heel leuk. Bedankt voor je deelname bij CHCC Extra.

Groetjes, Renate

Helen said...

Great image. Thank you so much for joining us at Sparkles Christmas Challenges for our first challenge of 2015. Good luck and hope to see you again soon.

Hugs Helen P (DT) x

Helen said...

Great card and I love the background you've created.

Thanks for joining us at Sparkles Christmas Challenge.

Helen N x