Saturday 18 October 2014

I am the walrus


So there is a bit of a story to this card. It's an epic tale of coincidences and artistic inspiration, taking place in the exotic countryside of Cambridgeshire. And so it happened that the parcel from Stampin' Up arrived exactly on the same day as the new Poppy Sketch Challenge went live. And it had also happened that the DSP called Sweater Weather had been in the Stampin' Up Clearance Rack, so I had finally decided to get myself a pack (I only buy DSP on sale, as otherwise I think it's too valuable to actually use for crafting, and it just sits around in my stash). Further, coincidence on a galactic scale also would have it that one of the patterns in the DSP was Houndstooth, which is the Pop of Pattern for the current Poppy Sketch. This paper also happens to be the only crafting supply I have with Houndstooth, so no going back and forth between multiple choices. I did turn the sketch upside down though. Finally, a fun Finland fact of the day: the houndstooth pattern in Finnish is called kukonaskel which translates to "the rooster's step".


As the DSP was called Sweater Weather I immediately started thinking winter. Because that's when you wear sweaters (see what I did there, free association, very artistic indeed!). And thinking winter the first thing you think is obviously "Winter is coming", the Stark family motto (ignore that if you don't watch Game of Thrones). And what goes with winter better than the Lawn Fawn stamp set Critters in the Arctic? Nothing of course, so I inked up my stamps and coloured them with Copics. And when it's winter, you need a warm hat, one that matches the DSP, so I paper pieced the hat. I liked the hat so much I stamped and paper pieced it several times on the inside of the card. Sometimes finding inspiration is just that easy!

Card: Stampin' Up Smoky Slate, Hobbycraft 160 gsm white card
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Critters in the Arctic and matching dies
Colouring: Copics B00, C1, C3, C5, E09, E34
Paper: Stampin' Up Sweater Weather

3 comments:

Shelly said...

Too cute!!! Thanks for joining us at Poppy Sketches!

Laura Davis said...

Oh my goodness this is so cute!
Thanks for playing at Poppy Sketches!
Laura

Indy's Designs said...

Oh so super duper cute! I love that image and the little hat! So glad you were inspired by the Poppy Sketches Challenge with a pop of Houndstooth! Hope you'll us for our new challenge starting tomorrow!
Hugs,
Debbie, DT