Sunday 20 September 2015

Sympathy at sunset


I have absolutely no idea what is going on with me lately. I am usually up no later than seven in the morning, often I even wake up at six and can't go back to sleep. This weekend I slept to 8:30 yesterday and nine today! It's really weird, I feel like I have slept away half the day. But I guess my body needs it for some reason or other, I'm suspecting I'm fighting off a bug or something as my colleagues have all had a nasty autumn cold, so I'm thinking I will take it as easy as my body wants and hopefully stay healthy. On another revelation, I think I have worked out the comings and goings of Mr Mojo. Last week I didn't go to the gym at all (I know, bad bad me) and I've had a very creative Saturday. The week before, I went to the gym, and was hardly able to create at all. I see a pattern forming here. Clearly the gym is detrimental to my crafting Mojo!

On to more interesting things, like today's card. When I saw this week's colours over at Color Throwdown, I just knew I had to play along. I also liked the sketch over at CAS(E) This Sketch, and I thought it would be a great idea to combine them into one. I was also inspired by the beautiful multi-colour sponging in the inspiration card from Time Out Challenges. I'm also linking up over at House of Cards where the theme is Stitch It Up, Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge where the theme is Die Crazy, The Artistic Stamper where the theme is Things With Wings and Craft and Smash where the theme is clouds.





I started creating the sunset image, and although I wasn't planning specifically to make a sympathy card, that's what it turned out to be. I don't have a very good selection of sympathy sentiments, but luckily I had just received an order from STAMPlorations containing the Lotus Love set which had a sentiment that fit the card perfectly. I created the sky using masks I die cut using the Lawn Fawn Puffy Cloud Borders and Tim Holtz distress inks. For the grass, I used the Lawn Fawn Grassy border die. The flowers are stencilled in black distress ink through the STAMPlorations Some Birds stencils. I die cut the panel using Lawn Fawn Stitched rectangle dies and heat embossed the sentiment in white. Last, I added a few sequins inspired by the sketch. The panel is adhered using foam tape onto hammered white cardstock.

Card: Hammered white 300 gsm card, white 250 gsm card, black paper
Ink: Tim Holtz distress inks Spun Sugar, Picked Raspberry, Chipped Sapphire, Black Soot
Stamps: STAMPlorations Dee's Artsy Impressions Lotus Love
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle dies, Puffy Cloud border dies, Grassy Border die, STAMPlorations Some Birds stencil, Papermania Seafoam white embossing powder, sequins from my stash

15 comments:

sandie said...

This masking is superb. The ombré look of the sky is perfect and I like this colour choice for a sympathy card. Great to see you join us at TO

Mac Mable said...

Stunning card. Love the colours and just perfect for a sympathy card, even thought it didn't start out as one! x

Mynn xx said...

Absolutely GORGEOUS use of color and sponging--this is just beautiful! The scene you created is perfect for this sad situation, but absolutely amazing. Thanks for joining us at House of Cards! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful background on your card. Thank you for joining TO this month!

Monika/Buzsy said...

What a gorgeous card. Love the pretty scene. The clouds are amazing. Thank you for playing along with us at The Color Throwdown.

Melissa Bove said...

Beautiful card! Such a lovely design and pretty colors!!

Thank you very much for joining us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

hugs...
Melissa

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, this is gorgeous! I love the scene you created -- it's fabulous!

Anna said...

Bellissima interpretazione del nostro tema...mi piace tantissimo il contrasto tra lo sfondo multicolor e il profilo nero degli uccelli e dell'erba!
Grazie per aver condiviso la tua card su Craft and Smash!
Anna

Jenni's Jems said...

Wow this is simply stunning! x

M.Letizia said...

Love the background! Thank you for joining at craft and smash challenge!

Claire said...

Stunning! Love how you've done the sky!

ufoide@gmail.com said...

thanks so much for sharing on craft and smash

Veve said...

Love your card! Thanks for play with us at Craft and Smash challenge

craftysahmiam said...

Simply lovely sentiment and Sympathy card overall; the stitching is a great finishing touch. Thanks for sharing it with us at House Of Cards

Karen Petitt said...

Exquisite card, love everything about it, and I recommend you stay away from the gym lol! Thank you so much for entering our September Stitching Challenge. I hope we see you again for the October challenge Karen (DT House of Cards)