Saturday 16 April 2016

Smile crocodile!


We are all among friends here, so I'm probably safe in admitting that my craft room is a complete mess. First of all, I dug out some old crafty stuff I had stashed away in the loft as I sold some old, unloved stamp sets, dies and embossing folders on eBay. And the remaining stuff is still lying around, waiting to either be taken to the bin or donated somewhere (any tips anyone, do you get rid of your old crafty stuff by donating to a school, nursery etc?). I have also been so crazy busy at work that I have hardly managed to craft at all, and the few times I have made it to the craft desk, I have focussed all my energy on the process of crafting, not cleaning up. Therefore, this is what my crafty desk looks like at the moment. 



I know I should probably hang my head in shame, but at the same time, it comes with some perks. Like the fact that to make today's card, I could find almost all the stuff I needed on my desk instead of having to go hunting for it on shelves and in drawers. The added perk was that to create the cute croc, I used a scrap piece of card I had coloured for this card. 

As I've had some trouble getting my mojo going lately, I've been eagerly perusing the wonderful challenges and all the inspiration from the wonderful DT's to get going. For this card, I was inspired by the sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches and the colours over at Color Throwdown. I was also inspired by the CAS Mixup where the theme is Stamping + stencil + your choice (in my case die cutting, smooshing and heat embossing). I also didn't quite manage to get the sentiment and croc to stand out from the background with just stamping in black ink, and when I saw the E is for embossing challenge over at Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers, a lightbulb went off in my head, and I heat embossed them in black glittery powder which made them pop much more against the background.


Card: 300 gsm white linen textured card, 300 gsm watercolour card
Paper: Lawn Fawn Let's Polka and Perfectly Plaid
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Critters Down Under and matching dies
Ink and paints: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Mustard Seed and Twisted Citron, Tim Holtz Distress Paints Mermaid Lagoon and Twisted Citron, Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle Frames and Everyday Sentiment Banners dies, ARTplorations stencil Retro Circles



10 comments:

Lynn Put said...

Such an adorable card! Love your fun alligator and plaid frame. And thanks for sharing the shot of your craft area and keeping it real. Thank you for playing along with us over at the Color Throwdown.

Donna said...

I think we all have a craft area / room that looks like that, I know mine sure does!
Awesome card, love the wee gator!!
Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers for E is for Embossing (and Edna!!)

Bonnie said...

Your craft table looks like you've been busy! And you found wonderful pieces there to put together this wonderful CAS card! Love the bit of stenciling and that wonderful gator! Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up!

Loll said...

Your card is SUPER CUTE! Love the bright yellow stenciled background that really makes your fun crocodile pop! Love the framing too.

Your work table looks a bit similar to mine today. Way out of control, but so much fun! :) Thanks so much for sharing with us at CAS Mix Up.

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

Cute card! I find that going through my things makes me want to get my craft on! I also find that going through my things = half of my craft time. No wonder it takes me so long to get something done! I'm glad that our E is for Embossing challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers has helped you make your fab creation.

Broni said...

That's a sweet card and a cool card! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Color Throwdown this week!

Kim S said...

I totally agree with you - it's MUCH harder to find things after I clean up! What a fun use of the sketch! I would not have thought of a crocodile as one of the strips. Thank you for playing along with us at Freshly Made Sketches.

Lindsey said...

Eventually I clean up my work area when I can no longer find ANYTHING. :D I love this sweet little croc and fun card! Thanks for joining the fun at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Barbara Godden said...

Adorable little croc, great take on the sketch and the embossing. fab. card. thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for the E is for Embossing.

Lynne Mizera said...

What a happy little card you created - it makes me SMILE - grin. Thanks for joining us over at the Sisterhood for Snarky Stampers this week!