Monday 18 July 2016

Hippo Rainbow Birdie Becca!!


I don't know about where you are, but here in the UK we are enjoying quite the heatwave - summer is finally here!! I hope the weather will follow me to Finland next week as I only have three more days at work and then I will be away until the end of August. Which sounds like such a long holiday, but in fact we are close to the beginning of August already. How did this happen? It's been such a miserable and very typical British summer so far but maybe it will be all sunshine from now on. 

Today I got really inspired to create when I saw the new challenge over at Lawnscaping. The theme is to create something in the colours of the rainbow. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Rainbow is my favouritest colour. I was also super inspired by the wonderful inspiration images over at Becca's (Damsel of Distressed) big three-oh birthday bash linky party. I was super inspired by the artsy images and particularly (yes you guessed it) the rainbow colours. And because Becca is the Queen of mixed media I thought I would play with my Brushos to create a really artsy rainbow background for my birdday card - Happy (belated) Birthday Becca!!! I hope you like the card.  I was also inspired by the sketch over at Retro Sketches, although I flipped it on it's side. Last but not least I'm linking up with AAA Cards where the theme is Stash Favourite (mine is Brushos, since I got them I have been using them like crazy, I just love how easy and fun it is to creat random artsy backgrounds with them).



I started by cutting out a rectangle of watercolour paper and spritzed it with water using a mini mister. Then I randomly sprinkled on some Brushos - the secret is to not saturate the paper with either water or the colour crystals if you want that funky speckled background. I had a few accidents where I ended up with big piles of colour, not exactly planned but I think it looks quite random and artsy. Then I die cut a white frame using a Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle Frames die. Next I stamped the hippo, the birdie, the party hat and the balloon from Hippo Birdie in black Memento Tuxedo Black ink and coloured them with Copics and a white gel pen before die cutting using the matching dies. I also used one of the Lawn Fawn banner dies to cut the banner for the sentiment. Last I adhered a leftover piece of Let's Polka In The Meadow paper to a white hammered card base and added the whole party scene on top. I have to admit I'm really chuffed with how the card turned out, one of those cards that surprise you by turning out different - but better - than you initially imagined. 

Card: 300 gsm white hammered card, Daler&Rowney 300 gsm watercolour paper, Neenah Solar card
Stamps: Lawn Fawn Hippo Birdie and matching dies
Ink and colouring: Memento Tuxedo Black, Brushos, Copics
Paper: Lawn Fawn Let's Polka in the Meadow
Other: Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangles, Stitched Rectangle Frames and Everyday Sentiment Banners dies


6 comments:

sandie said...

That background is amazing and fabulous mix of colours, love the cute little scene you have created. Thanks for joining AAA

Jane said...

Such an amazing multi-coloured background to showcase your cute little hippo and bird. And yay for some sunshine here in the UK at last! Thanks for playing at AAA Cards.

Samantha Mann said...

oooooooo! that background is awesome!! i'm super in love with brusho/ken oliver type powders right now!! LOVE them as a rainbow!! And that hippo is just darling!! enjoy your holiday! thanks SO much for playing along with the Lawnscaping Challenge! :)

Ceal said...

fabulous card, love the background! thanks for sharing with us at AAA Cards!

desperatehousewifecraft said...

I love playing around with my Brushos too, and your brushos background is just so beautiful!

Roxanne O'Brien said...

That background is FAB!!!!!! I love it. Thanks for playing along with Lawnscaping!