Saturday 30 August 2014

Enjoy the kraft journey


Yesterday's card was a total pain in the you-know-what to put together. Whatever I did just didn't look right, and I had to try so many different layouts and versions before I felt I was even remotely content with it. Certainly not one of my proudest moments. Today's card couldn't have been any more different, it hardly took any time to put together. I didn't have to change a thing and basically just glued all the bits and pieces in place. That's how a good card is made. For some reason I'm currently stuck with this one card layout with a central focus panel, it just works.

I was so inspired by the absolutely gorgeous inspiration picture over at Addicted to Stamps and More. My card is not so much an interpretation as just a direct copy of the picture. Even before I had scrolled down to look at the DT's creations I knew there had to be a vellum flower on my card. I was also inspired by two craft themed challenges, Witch Kraft over at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge (although this time it's all kraft and no witch), and K is for kraft over at the Snarky Sisters (this time without any snark, but hey - a girl only has so much snark to give). So I knew the background should be kraft. I was thinking a swirly pattern, but then I looked at the inspiration photo again and realised the only background that would be acceptable is woodgrain. Great excuse to dig out my lovely hardwood background stamp. 





I also love my white embossing powder (and need to get more of it soon), so I wanted to keep the card very simple with nothing but white embossing and kraft. There is just something special about white embossing on vellum. It's almost like magic, it's light and airy and cloud-like. The woodgrain on the smaller background panel is simply stamped with VersaMark, I like the subtle effect as the kraft on it's own was too plain, but I didn't want anything in the background to distract from the focal flower.

Finally I just needed to pick a sentiment, and although I was first tempted by something in a swirly font to complement the flower, I changed my mind and used something that would go with the harshness of the woodgrain. And it's a great sentiment, would go for many different occasions. To finish I stamped and heat embossed some flowers inside the card and on the envelope to make a matching set. I absolutely love how the card turned out, this is one I'm genuinely proud of, and it was so much fun to make too! Once again I'm so grateful to the wonderful challenge blogs and inspirational DTs who provide ideas week after week.


Card: Craft UK kraft card and envelope, Ribbed 300 gsm rustic kraft card, Hobbycraft 160 gsm cream card, Dovecraft 110 gsm premium vellum
Stamps: Stampin' Up Hardwood, Mixed Bunch, Flower Shop, Petite Petals, Tim Holtz Stampers Anonymous The Journey
Ink: Tsukineko VersaMark
Other: Papermania Seafoam White embossing powder, Stampin' Up Basic Pearls, Blossom, Pansy and Petite Petal punch

12 comments:

sandie said...

This is stunning, the background is perfect and that bloom just shines. Thanks for joining us at ATSM

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

This is beautiful - especially your wood background! Great to see you playing with us at ATSAM. Come back next time, too! Hugs, Cornelia DT

Emma Williams said...

Beautiful card, so elegant and sophisticated and I adore the white on the kraft! Thank you so much for joining us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog! :)

Neets B said...

White and kraft, what a perfect combo for this photo inspiration. And your layered white flower is divine. Thanks for playing along at ATSM, Anita x

Chris Dring said...

Good thing I can type and not talk, because my jaw is sitting in my lap. This is absolutely STUNNING! I love the woodgrain background with that incredibly gorgeous flower taking center stage! No need for snark on this card - and that's totally acceptable! Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers for the Kraft challenge!

Rahmat said...

So striking! I like the background, and the flower is perfect with a perfect sentiment. Thank you for joining us at ATSM!

Katie Melhus said...

Lovely! The use of white ink on kraft and vellum are wonderful here! Thanks for joining us this week at Addicted to Stamps and More!

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kate said...

Sorry about that sometimes this blogger puts words in my mouth. What I wanted to say was
Your vellum flower is so delicate and waif like perfect for the inspiration photo. Love it !!!

Donna said...

Fantastic! Love the kraft and white together! Thanks for joining the sisterhood of snarky stampers for the "K is for Kraft" challenge!!

Lee aka Violent Kittie said...

gorgeous use of the white ep on the kraft. Did I mention gorgeous? Thanks for playing in the K is for Kraft challenge at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers!

Lindsey said...

This is outstanding! Everything works perfectly together. Like you, I love the effect of white embossing on vellum, and so perfect with that flower. And then the woodgrain? Wow. Thanks for joining us at the Sisterhood of Snarky Stampers! (Seemed even we didn't have a lot of snark to spare this round...) ;)